Thursday, January 31, 2008

Retinal hemorrhages

Subhyaloid and preretinal hemorrhages
  • located on retinal surface
  • subhyaloid hemorrhage is located b/w the posterior vitreous base and the internal limiting membrane (ILM)
  • preretinal hemorrhage is located posterior to the ILM and anterior to the NFL
  • "boat-shaped" with sharp demarcation line
  • obscure retinal features
  • tend to clear quickly without any sequelae
  • associated with pathology affecting the major retinal vessels or superficial beds
  • most common etiology: retinal neovascularization
  • other etiologies: PVD, retinal breaks, associated with the tearing of a mjor retinal vessel
  • less common etiologies: Terson's syndrome, retinal trauma, valsava retinopathy

Flame-shaped hemorrhages (NFL hemorrhages)

  • located within the NFL
  • flame shape is the result of the structure of the NFL
  • typically located in the posterior pole
  • tend to resolve within a 6 weeks
  • associated with retinal vasculature pathology affecting the superficial and peripapillary capillary beds
  • etiology: hypertensive retinopathy (AV nicking present), retinal vein occlusions, optic neuropathy (papilledema, NTG, anterior ischemic optic neuropathy)
  • Roth spot = flame-shaped hemorrhage that has a white or pale center; represent non-specific signs of blood dyscrasias (anemia/thrombocytopenia, anoxia, AV malformation, bacterial endocarditis, collagen vascular disease, diabetic retinopathy, HIV, HTN retinopathy, leukemia, multiple myeloma, trauma)

Dot-and-blot hemorrhages

  • located in the retina's inner nuclear and outer plexiform layers
  • configuration is due to intraretinal compression
  • take longer to resolve because they're deeper than flame-shaped hemorrhages
  • commonly associated with microvascular signs of edema
  • etiology: pathology affecting the prevenular capillaries -- diabetic retinopathy, idiopathic juxtafoveal retinal telangiectassis, vein occlusion and OIS
  • OIS: vascular insufficiency associated with carotid artery disease leads to ocular hypoperfusion --> not enough pressure to push blood from retinal arterioles to the venules --> increased capillary congestion results in a breakdown of the capilary walls with subsquent hemorrhage and edema --> venules attempt to compensate for the decreased blood flow by distending, giving them a dilated, but non-tortuous appearance

Subretina and subretinal pigment epithelium (RPE) hemorrhages:

  • located beneath the neurosensory retina and the RPE
  • sub-RPE hemorrhages are located b/w the RPE and Bruch's
  • exhibit a dark coloration with the retinal vessels clearly visible above
  • tend to have an amorphous shape, due to the absence of firm attachments b/w the neursensory retina and RPE, allowing the blood to spread
  • sub-RPE hemorrhages have well-defined borders attributed to the tight cell junctions among RPE
  • may be associated with neurosensory or RPE detachments in the posterior pole
  • tend to resolve slowly
  • may be associated with the functional and/or structural changes at the level of the photoreceptors (therefore, unfavorable prognosis)
  • most common etiology: CNV
  • other etiologies: choroidal tumors, trauma, retinal angiomatous proliferation
  • referal to a retinologist

Management

  • referral if needed
  • patients without systemic history need medical work-up (most common etiologies: HTN, DM; other: clotting disorders such as hemophilia or patients on warfarin)
  • fasting plasma glucose test (<100> 126 is indicative for diabetes)
  • HbA1c (normal <5%)
  • CBC with white cell differential (test for anemias, polycythemias, bleeding disorders, leukemias, infections)
  • prothrombin time (PT) and international normalized ratio (INR) -- evaluates clotting factors
  • OIS: work-up of above plus heart echo, carotid USG and/or Doppler color imaging to rule-out carotid or heart disease
  • in older patients (>60) -- ESR & C-reactive protein & temporal artery biopsy to confirm
  • in younger patients (18-40) -- at risk for blood dyscrasias, diabetes, HTN, hyperlipidemia -- obtain a serum lipid profile, consider antiphospholipid and anticardiolipin enzymes to determine whether they have antiphospholipid syndrome; ANA or double-stranded DNA testing to r/o Lupus; ANA & ESR screening test for autoimmune diseases and inflammatory conditions
  • other tests: HLA-B51, HLA-B27, HLA-B5, ELISA, Western-blot specific testing for HIV, Lyme disease, toxoplasmosis, tuberculosis
  • other tests: FTA-Abs and RpR to r/o syphilis
  • other tests: blood cultures to identify widespread infection (speticemia)

5 comments:

Letter Robinson said...

i was diagnosed with ALS. my symptoms progressed quickly. son i was having difficulty breathing, swallowing and even walking short distance. With the help of DR JUDE HERBAL FORMULA, i have been able to reserve my symptoms using his herbs formula which i feel has made the most difference. it reserved my ALS. visit DR JUDE NATURAL HERBAL MEDS on blog
[drjudenaturalherbs. blogspot. com] or reach him directly on email, [drjuderobert@gmail.com]

Unknown said...

I want to use these opportunity to tell everyone about Dr Oseiboh, he can cure a lot of diseases and he can also cast a lovespell to bring back ex lover. Contact him today and get your problems solved. I was fully cured by him out of LUPUS and he also bring back my ex who has left me over 4 years i must say a big thanks to Dr Oseiboh because he works excellently and reliable. you can also contact him on.. Whatssapp/call +2347017565415 or email via:droseiboh12@gmail.com he can also cure any virus.  HIV/AIDS, DIABETES, CANCER, HEPATITIS, ALS, HERPES, HPV.

Omar Jesu said...

I want to use this opportunity to thank this great holy man called Priest Babaka for what he has done for me and my family. This great man has brought happiness and joy back again to me and my family. Priest Babaka has used his great power to help me bring back my husband within the period of 48 hours and also helped me in getting pregnant with his powerful prayers and after 7 days of applying his herbs.This is more than words can say, at first i didn't believe it but today it is so true and all thanks goes to him. i will advice every one out there that has a similar issue, and also any one who is willing to get his or her lover back and any one who wants to get pregnant quick to contact this wonderful man today and forever remain happy in life. email: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

brendaharri77@gmail.com said...

Hello I'm From Memphis Tennessee, USA I feel so joyful today because of the
help Dr Sunny has rendered to me for getting my Husband back with his
spell. I have been married for 4 years and it has been so terrible because
my husband was cheating on me and was seeking for a divorce. But when i
came across Dr Sunny Email, on the internet posted by a lady, i decided to
get in touch with him and i explained my situation to him and then seek his
help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my
case for there is no problem without a solution. Here i am celebrating
because my Husband is back home and am really enjoying my marriage, what a
great celebration. i will keep on testifying on the internet because Dr
Sunny is truly a real spell caster. Why not contact Dr Sunny now if you are
facing any challenges in your relationship life. Email {
solutioncentre911@gmail.com } you can call Dr or whats app him via
{+2349056393169} his Also specialize in treating all kinds of illness, HERPES VIRUS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, BRAIN DISEASE, INFERTILITY, DIABETES, PREGNANCY SPELL AND MORE
contact this great man if you have any problem for a lasting solution
Through his email via { solutioncentre911@gmail.com } .

Unknown said...

My husband and I have been married for about 7 yrs now. We were happily married with two kids, a boy and a girl. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone. He started coming home late from work, he hardly care about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the Internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr jeffrey can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he did a spell for me. Two days later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my family are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr jeffrey . If you need a spell caster that can cast a spell that truly works, I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you. This is his E-mail:

dctrjeffrey@gmail.com

WhatsApp +2348162061202