Thursday, October 8, 2009

Unusual retinal vessels

http://www.optometry.co.uk/articles/docs/8a09ee2c4a719fd88e90e28ce345ac0e_Swann1991119.pdf

Remnants of the hyaloid system

  • Mittendorf dot
    Bergmeister’s papilla
    Vogt’s arcuate line
  • very rarely, the whole vessel being preserved from disc to lens
  • associated with persistence of the primary vitreous, coloboma and ONH hypoplasia

Cilioretinal artery

  • present in 30-40% of eyes
  • arise from the temporal optic disc in a hook-like manner, often traversing the papillomacular area
    more common in cases of optic disc pit, situs inversus, pre-papillary loops and optic disc drusen
  • in CRAO, the presence of a cilioretinal arteriole may enable some degree of central vision to be retained
Congenital tortuosity

  • more commonly involves retinal arterioles than veins
  • usually non-progressive with all other findings being normal
  • there is a progressive form which is inherited as an autosomal dominant trait and may be
    associated with retinal haemorrhages
    should bedifferentiated from that secondary to other problems, such as epiretinal membrane,
    vein occlusion and diabetes

Situs invertus

  • retinal vessels emerge from the optic disc in an anomalous direction
  • typically seen in tilted disc syndrome and also in myopic eyes
  • a dragged disc and vessels can have a similar appearance and occurs in retinopathy of prematurity

Congenital retinal macrovessel

  • a retinal vessel, usually the inferio-temporal retinal vein, is enlarged and drains an area
    superior to the macula
  • vision may be slightly reduced by the large vessel crossing the macula
  • macular cysts are more common in these patients

Pre-papillary loops

  • 95% of these vessels are arterioles, and usually originate from and return to an arteriole on or near the disc
    the loops may be small and simple or large and corkscrewed
  • many are surrounded by the white remnants of Bergmeister’s papilla
    usually unilateral with associated cilioretinal arterioles
  • fill before or with other retinal arteries on fluorescein angiography and do not leak
  • vitreous haemorrhage and occlusion of the loop have been reported

AV malformations

  • arterioles and veins communicate without an intervening capillary bed
  • may be isolated to a small arteriole and venule or be widespread involving the entire vascular tree
    intracranial and facial vascular malformations may be associated and constitute the Wyburn-Mason syndrome
    similar vascular anomalies can involve the orbit, conjunctiva, sclera and iris, and
    neovascular glaucoma can be a complication
  • should be differentiated from the phakomatosis von Hippel-Lindau’s disease
  • patients should be referred for neurological assessment

Collateral vessels

  • preformed capillaries connecting retinal, and retino-choroidal circulations
  • indicate a preceding vascular disorder which may point to a significant ocular and/or systemic disease
    unlike new vessels, they do not leak on fluorescein angiography
  • potential causes include retinal vein thrombosis and glaucoma
  • if the patient, especially a middle-aged female, has a chronic, progressive vision loss, together with a pale, swollen optic disc and a disc collateral, then optic nerve sheath meningioma is a likely cause

New vessels

  • new vessels proliferate following ischaemia in conditions such as diabetic retinopathy and central retinal vein thrombosis
  • may form on the optic disc, elsewhere in the fundus and in the anterior segment
  • delicate feathery appearance and leak fluorescein

1 comment:

Sarah Morgan said...

I want every herpes patient to please read my testimony, my name is SARAH MORGAN and I am from California in the USA, I contracted genital herpes from my ex boyfriend who never had any symptoms. I have had it for 4 months now., and it has affected my life. I have told my boyfriends who I trusted about it and I have never had a bad reaction, it has affected my new relationships with Smith and people think herpes is really a minor skin irritation herpes has a long term effects on health. The stigma attached to this virus by ignorant people is ridiculous. Most people have herpes in one form or another. I would like to advise people on how I get rid of my herpes and I was reading a comment on the internet,and I saw a testimony posted by a woman from Germany that she get rid of her herpes with the help of DR AHKIGBE and so I was so happy when I saw that post, that his herbal medication is free and I quickly collected the herbal doctor email and I email him within 3 hr he respond to my email and I explain things to him he told me not to worry that he is going to cure me totally with his herbal medicine he only request for little money that he will use to buy the items for the preparation of the herbal medicine, wish I send to him because the pain was too much for me to bear and after some days he told me that he has prepare the herbal medicine, that I should send him my address that he want to send it to me via DHL or FED-EX that was how I got the herbal medication and I use it as I was told and after few days I found out that my herpes was no more, i went to hospital for confirmation and it was true really that was how i got my cured. DR AKHIGBE also cure other deadly diseases like,  HIV/AIDS, HERPES, DIABETES,CANCER, ALS, ASTHMA, WEAK BODY,  HEPATITIS A&B, DENGUE FEVER, RABIES, MAR-BURG  DISEASE, THYROID,  HYPERTROPHY, SMALLPOX, ARTHRITIS, MENINGITIS ,LUPUS, EPILEPSY, CHRONIC DISEASE, DICK AND BREAST ENLARGEMENT, MALARIA, BACTERIAL DIARRHEA HEART DISEASE., JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN,  DENGUE NEURODERMATITIS,SCHIZOPHRENIA, POLIO,MULTIPLES SCLEROSIS, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,  SORENESS/INJURY,  VAGINAL  DISCHARGE,  CHANCRE, DEPRESSION, TUBERCULOSIS, ALZHEIMER , PENIS ENLARGEMENT, VAIN, PARKINSON'S, to get your rid kindly via his email:   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    contact his number:  +2349010754824           website:  https://drrealakhigbe.weebly.com       you can still write me on Instagram to get more information. on Sarah Morgan 06